Thursday, June 28, 2007

Big, Self Hating Clay Monster

All right, I’m not going to begrudge any band for answering questions and being polite to any media source that is providing it with free press; which is why I’ve always steered clear of the DCist “Three Stars” interviews of “local” talent from Baltimore when covering the D.C. music scene. It always seemed counter productive to write anything that could be considered critical of a Baltimore band that was simply trying to make it in this world.

Also, I’ve been friends of one of the Yeveto members for years, so I’m inclined moreso than usual to keep my tongue tied here.

But, I was reading through today's interview and I came across this segment:

What is your opinion of the D.C. area music scene?

GREG: Our first show in the area, at the Iota, recently was wonderful. It was one of the friendliest crowds we’ve ever played for. People seemed earnestly interested in the music. It was a breath of fresh air compared to Baltimore where people seem to have this chip on their shoulder, even when they come to see a band live.


Oh-my-God, Greg, you self loathing sycophantic brown noser. I feel like Baltimore has created a giant clay monster to protect and represent us to our enemies, and you just went over and started telling those enemies jew jokes. Have you no respect for the soil from which you were created? Have you no sense loyalty to your community? It would be one thing to say that to fellow Baltimoreans behind closed doors. We all do that. But in front of outsiders, to outsiders, even?! I feel like Meadow Soprano in the final scene of season 3 when she’s talking to Kelli Aprile. I would sooo be wiping "aemaeth" from your forehead if I had the power. That “chip” on our shoulder, for good or for bad, is part of what makes us who we are as a people.

Okay, Whatever. Yay you for your little DCist interview. I hope it brings you oodles of success with... them. But talking shit about your own kind isn’t going to endear you to your own base.

To protect my own anonyminity, I’m not going tell you who I am or which one of you I’m friends with, but if any of you experience an unusually cold and chippy shoulder anytime in the near future, I hope it gives you pause to think.

For shame.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Deceiver said...

In fairness, it's easy to come away from this impression when you've played Iota. Music appreciation actually occurs there, as opposed to say, The Black Cat, where "the pose" is more important.

10:08 PM  
Blogger dcistgohome said...

Besides, Baltimoreans have a chip on their shoulder?! Outrageous. Personally, I’ve never seen any evidence that suggested that was true. ;-)

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home