Wednesday, June 20, 2007

?????

Soft shell crab season is half way over and we can’t believe that we haven’t paid proper tribute to this much-anticipated D.C. delicacy


Isn’t D.C. landlocked? Do they even sell soft crabs in D.C.? If they do, to whom to they sell them? The Californians? The Midwesterners? Isn’t that sort of like homemade Vermont Clam Chowder or a Catskill Lobster roll?

I’ve never eaten a D.C. soft crab, so perhaps I’m speaking out of ignorance; but if they taste anything like their crab cakes, I’ll take a pass. I can get artificial crabmeat in any asian market across the country. I don’t much see the point of eating fake crabmeat a half hour away from the Chesapeake Bay. Not that their primary market could taste the difference or anything, which it seems the D.C. chefs have always banked on.

But whatever, I always thought the only delicacy indigenous to D.C. was the anus sweat of their social and professional superiors. I guess they’re the Kings of Crab County too.

Update: I was so taken aback by the notion of DCist claiming soft crabs as a “D.C. delicacy” that I didn’t even bother reading the recipe.

Funny part A: Remove the heads of the crabs, if desired, by simply cutting them off... If desired? If desired?! Ha! Never mind that they actually meant "face." Good luck finding that crab head, if you desire.

Funny part B: Here is a quote from the recipe explaining what to do with the lungs... “............” Yummmmmmy. They sure do know what to do with their delicacy.

Funny part C (the rest): Peppers, capers, peaches, spinach, aioli, etc.

This recipe is the regional equivalent of pounding Jesus Christ up the pooper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home